By Robert Chazan
Read or Download Ajs Review 1987: Spring, No 1 PDF
Similar nonfiction_4 books
Boeing's version 377 was once constructed from the realm battle II B-29 bomber. Named the Stratocruiser, this four-engine passengerliner bridged the distance for Boeing from war-time construction to the creation of the all-jet 707 within the past due Fifties. The Stratocruiser, which set the criteria for luxurious air go back and forth, represents a romantic period within the golden age of business aviation.
- Deathstalker Prelude 03 - Hellworld
- Melancholia: A Disorder of Movement and Mood: A Phenomenological and Neurobiological Review
- Sukhoi Su-24 Fencer: Soviet Swing-Wing Bomber
- Paul Bunyan, last of the frontier demigods
- Cooperation at work: the Mondragón experience
- Inside the Minds of Sexual Predators
Extra resources for Ajs Review 1987: Spring, No 1
59. 210 HAYM SOLOVEITCHIK dubious legal worth. But by massing them together, Ashkenazic scholars produced, with a few deft twists, a tenable, if not quite persuasive, case for the permissibility of suicide in times of religious persecution. 8 8. See reference in Katz, Bein Yehudim,p. 91, n. v. mutav, in Shittat ha-Qadmonim 'al 'Avodah Zarah, ed. Y. v. ha; Semaq Zurich (Jerusalem, 1973), Imp. 3, 6; Arugat ha-Bosem, ed. E. E. Urbach, I (Jerusalem, 1939), p. 122; Tosafot ha-Shalem al ha-Torah, ed.
17-18. 60. Ramban (Nahmanides) in his addenda to Maimonides' Sefer ha-Mitsvot, no. 17, and Maimonides, Sefer ha-Mitsvot, shoresh 14, cited in Bleich, ContemporaryHalakhic Problems, p. 16. There is some question among commentators whether the war against Amalek requires the intervention of the urim ve-tumim, but this appears to relate to Amalek as a symbol of evil rather than to the Amalekites as a specific nation. , pp. 16-18. 61. Bleich, "Preemptive War," pp. 28-29. 62. , p. 25. 200 GEOFFREY B.
2 Furthermore, detailed study will show that often the practices referred to were ones that were not under heavy economic or social pressure. A good many of the practices allowed by the tosafists certainly were products of such pressures (especially those in the areas of trade or business), but others were not at all. A few that were legitimized were even contrary to the material interests of the community. 3"Reinterpretation" actually is a misleading term. More accurately, one should ask what led them to read the Talmud, to perceive the Talmud, in a fashion which can only be construed as a justification I.